Connect. Collaborate. Create community change.
Friday, Nov 22, 2013, 3:00 – 6:00 pm Urban League, 2100 Plymouth Ave. N., Minneapolis
Click to see more photos from this Lab:
North Minneapolis is in transformation mode:
- We have 1,873 vacant lots, which poses an amazing opportunity for urban agriculture and community economic development;
- We have many corner stores, but few full service grocery stores. However, Praxis Foods and Wirth Cooperative Grocery are on the way to help.
- We have significant local assets actively engaged in the community health, urban agriculture and community economic development movements. By connecting the dots, we intend to generate a food system in North Minneapolis that collaboratively produces both health and wealth for existing residents.
The Food Lab is a space for celebration of what is working, and for collective recognition of what we need to do next to develop a thoroughly operational local food system. People will learn where we are now in our process and help us move along the road map toward a transformative local food system in our community.
- Land Access – how do we acquire access, site control and ownership of sufficient parcels of land for urban agriculture and economic development?
- Economic Development, commercial corridors and coops
- Changing the Culture and Structure of our food system
- Innovations in youth development and food systems
- Increasing Productivity of urban agriculture
- Designing for collective impact, how DO WE co-create a food system that produces both health and wealth for existing residents?